I’m currently playing it. What an amazing game. I’ll write my thoughts more on this game in the future.
Playing reminded me of an anime I watched in 2018 called Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion. It’s on Crunchyroll to watch. I quite liked it back then. It’s not mind blowing but still an interesting tale. A tale of desperation and bravery trying to survive the Mongols.
I’m actually thinking of re-watching again after finishing the game. New context from the game may improve how much I enjoy it again. Perhaps I could read the manga instead!
It’ a brutal anime with violence but that’s the reality of war.
With all the Studio Ghibli collection on Netflix I’ve dove into watching all of them a second time again. Most of them I watched starting in 2011. So it’s been many moons since seeing them again except for When Marnie was There which was my first go.
So far I’ve watched Marnie, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso and Tales from Earthsea.
Now before my second watch I would have put the last three near the bottom of the Ghibli favorites but I’ve changed my opinion. Some things just marinate well and a mature old person brain like my own will start to appreciate small details that were missed the first time. I’ll skip taking about Marnie at the moment as it’s newer and my first time watching.
Porco Rosso blew me away the second watch. I highly recommend.
- The colour palette looked rich and lush. They did a wonderful job cleaning it up for the crappy version I originally watched. The dazzling water,beaches and blue skies make me want to book a trip to the Adriatic Sea.
- I noticed this time around how cute the kidnapped little girls were with their squealing and mischief to the captors. They were never scared even when in peril.
- The villains looked tough but never in a frightening way.
- As an old adult now, I wanted to be in Gina’s bar listening to her sing. I thought Gina was a bland character first time but now I see how much more complex she was, hurt from loving airman and scared to love and lose Porco.
- I loved the scene with all the Italian women coming together to build the airplane. Even though it was manual labor they all came together in glee to help.
- The soundtrack was great especially when matched to the plane fighting scenes.
- The pilots floating up to the heavens was beautiful and touching.
Pom Poko has got to be one of the most underrated Ghilbi movies.
- It’s damn cute. I like how they show the raccoon as chibi adorable when humans aren’t around and realistic looking other times.
- It is a great example of how movements can be fractured. For example do you use more violence for your cause or try more pragmatic approaches. It bodes well with today’s protest climate.
- It is an amazing vehicle to talk about environmental concerns of over development etc. This had me thinking more about human’s footprint on the environment than anything Greta could shame me about.
- I would love to see this shown to all elementary school students but it won’t happen because of the Tanuki balls. lol
- The Spring fever scene rivals Bambi’s characters in first love. In fact I think it is more saucy fun!
- The voice acting is spot on. The characters really matched the personality of their raccoon.
Tales from Earthsea I did not really enjoy the first time. I thought is was boring as dust. But this second time I really did like it a lot. There are some big things that could have been improved but overall it wasn’t the trash I once thought it was.
- I’ve never read the book but plan on reading them now. I get the feeling I’m missing out on a lot of Sparrowhawk and Therru lore.
- The first time I though Arren and Therru were just angsty. Now I see how they are products of things they couldn’t help.
- The look of the land and cities was beautifully done.
- Sparrowhawk still came off a bit bland with the voice acting. I wish he was a bit more exciting. (That’s why I need to read the books to see if the portrayal was on point or not.)
- The music and sound effects were lack luster. There was a few beautiful songs but I felt like to much of the movie was lacking that music to give momentum, joy or suspense. I would love to go back and incorporate more of the sound tracks in it.
- The character design for Lord Cob was crap. I just didn’t buy it. (Again I need to read the book to see what the author’s vision was.) He felt like a poor man’s Orochimaru from Naruto.
- The design of the dragon was beautiful 10/10.
Coming next time will be Howl’s Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart and Castle in the Sky.
It’s Sunday and the servers are getting swollen. Looks like there will be mega queues tomorrow. Even with four new servers on Monday I believe they will fill up instantly.
I bet many people are buying their sub tomorrow as they aren’t as invested in getting a specific name. Kudos to them as I think I fell for the bait myself and then only getting one name I really wanted from a list of six. And then I went for RP PVP which has strict naming rules so it was a fluke my name fit in the parameters.
I do plan on making an Alliance on Old Blanchy tomorrow. I can’t resist as I’m old in RL and the name has Old in it. Perhaps it will be the Gen X and Boomer server!
MY TIPS FOR BEATING THE QUEUE:
- If you are PST go for an EST server. With the three hour difference hopefully the kiddies will be logging of when you are logging in.
- The second you get home from work log in and then go shower, eat dinner and hopefully it will be not to long of a wait after that.
I took off the first week of September because I know the first week will be a gong show with queues. I want my time off to be spent not pulling my hair out. I’m going hang loose this week and just accept the fact of the long wait to play.
I was lucky enough in a way to be around at the end of Vanilla. I’ve bought every expansion released thereafter. I’ve had mini hiatuses with the game. The longest being with BfA.
This time around I wanted to do everything as different as I can. This is my opportunity to have the perfect play through. So I’m rolling a male Orc Shaman. The one class I have never leveled. All my mains have been female Belfs before.
Here he is!
I am also rolling on Grobbulus as it is the only RP-PVP server. I’ve never RP’d before and love PVP so it seemed a good fit. Honestly, I’m going to give it my best go and if I’m not feeling it I will just pay for the server transfer. I will level engineering and mining as I plan to make PVP my first priority.
I have even registered with a guild before launch. I scoured all the forums read up on what the guilds offer. I want a big size guild that does RP and PVP. I seems I found it. Fingers crossed it works out well.
I have two bank alts made. A shadow priest Troll who will do enchanting and tailoring to make me bags. Also a Forsaken rogue to collect herbs and make potions. I may be advantageous with my plan and if it is costing to much gold I will let them rest until my main is level 60.
Here’s to trying new things and approaches!
With nothing to do while waiting for Classic WoW I started watching old WoW Machinima. I think I watched every Oxhorn video. His ROFLMAO! has 17 million views.
Gosh that guy is talented. I just found out he has written a book too which I plan to buy on Kindle called The Tale of Cloran Hastings.
Also loved the funniest naughty one called First of May. Trust me this video will make you blush and feel a little hot under the collar. lmao!
This has me itching to make my own WoW movies just for shits and giggles. So I watched Nixxiom’s tutorials and downloaded WoW Model Viewer. All hyped I opened it up and got the dreaded ERROR messages. Off to the forums which seemed to have minimal action. Worried I found their Discord instead. I posted to get help but nothing. Yet I noticed them talking among themselves so it must be a cliquey thing. Le sigh…..
It seems many people have the same issues. As its a free resource it takes time for updates. I would be willing to pay if I could get a working version. I’m almost ready to offer someone to Teamviewer into my comp to see if they can get it running but who to ask that can be trusted?
When I start it, I say yes to load World of Warcraft. After I say yes to load the viewer another box pops up asking for Locale. The first choice closes the program. The second choice enUS(8.20(31478) opens it but with all white models with no textures.
A nice chap on YouTube responded a fix that worked for them was using a privater server vanilla client. And then downloading this ancient version of the Model Viewer. It sounds feasible but I’m worried with WoW Classic releasing I might screw up things worse with all these WoW folders. (I’m pretty sub par with computing.)
Here’s hoping a new version that works comes out soon!
From episode 12. Looks cute.
Episode 20. Eyes look way bigger and headband motif is subtlety different. It just looks like a different animator drew her. Perhaps they are rushing now to pump out episodes and the quality is going down in the animation. Thank goodness the story is so awesome I can overlook this.
I was playing Gwent in beta. Quite a lot of it actually. I had worked hard for cards and even spent real money in game when they had a promotion. I stupidly thought that at least some of those cards would be saved. Logging back in since the new release was a real eye opener. The game looks quite different, I really thought it would look somewhat like the beta but boy was I wrong. The game went from three rows to two! I can’t understand why? Three rows was fine by me. So of course so many card mechanics changed for this.
I’m not giving up on Gwent and will grind again with this newer version but bugger if I had known it would have changed this much I would have skipped the beta and just learned on the two row board. And damn do I miss my cards….Birna Bran is completely different. From putting down a sea storm on an opponents row (which looked great graphically) it now just draws 2 and discards two.
Phillipa….where are you????? Why can’t I find your old card? I’m afraid to see what else is missing or changed.
I hope this new version will keep my interest piqued. I did prefer it to Hearthstone but alas only time will tell.
I haven’t logged into World of Warcraft for over 2 weeks now. I’ll go back when the next update comes but not until then. I cannot stomach doing another world quest. I’ve played BG’s in game since 2006. I’m seriously bored of them. I know if I do rated it could be better but getting into rated is a drag. Making my own rated is a drag. I just don’t have the patience anymore.
I got my Waste of Time belt and Baa’l but other than that nothing is much fun in the game. I won’t give up yet but for now WoW is on the shelf.
Rather than rush and buy Red Dead Redemption 2 or Assassin’s Creed Odyssey I have decided to be frugal and just finish all my games in my collection. That list includes Kingdom Come Deliverance on PC, Divinity Original Sin 2, Ghost of a Tale also on PC. On PS4 – The DLC’s for Witcher 3 – Blood and Wine and Hearts of Stone, Assassin’s Creed Origins (has only being played for 2 hours). Breath of the Wild for Switch and finishing on my 3DS- Luigi’s Mansion and Ocarina of Time. Those two are really close to the end so I just need to pull up my boots and work through them.
I just have a problem with not finishing games and it needs to stop. Hopefully I don’t get weak and buy another.