I’m currently playing it. What an amazing game. I’ll write my thoughts more on this game in the future.
Playing reminded me of an anime I watched in 2018 called Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion. It’s on Crunchyroll to watch. I quite liked it back then. It’s not mind blowing but still an interesting tale. A tale of desperation and bravery trying to survive the Mongols.
I’m actually thinking of re-watching again after finishing the game. New context from the game may improve how much I enjoy it again. Perhaps I could read the manga instead!
It’ a brutal anime with violence but that’s the reality of war.
With all the Studio Ghibli collection on Netflix I’ve dove into watching all of them a second time again. Most of them I watched starting in 2011. So it’s been many moons since seeing them again except for When Marnie was There which was my first go.
So far I’ve watched Marnie, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso and Tales from Earthsea.
Now before my second watch I would have put the last three near the bottom of the Ghibli favorites but I’ve changed my opinion. Some things just marinate well and a mature old person brain like my own will start to appreciate small details that were missed the first time. I’ll skip taking about Marnie at the moment as it’s newer and my first time watching.
Porco Rosso blew me away the second watch. I highly recommend.
- The colour palette looked rich and lush. They did a wonderful job cleaning it up for the crappy version I originally watched. The dazzling water,beaches and blue skies make me want to book a trip to the Adriatic Sea.
- I noticed this time around how cute the kidnapped little girls were with their squealing and mischief to the captors. They were never scared even when in peril.
- The villains looked tough but never in a frightening way.
- As an old adult now, I wanted to be in Gina’s bar listening to her sing. I thought Gina was a bland character first time but now I see how much more complex she was, hurt from loving airman and scared to love and lose Porco.
- I loved the scene with all the Italian women coming together to build the airplane. Even though it was manual labor they all came together in glee to help.
- The soundtrack was great especially when matched to the plane fighting scenes.
- The pilots floating up to the heavens was beautiful and touching.
Pom Poko has got to be one of the most underrated Ghilbi movies.
- It’s damn cute. I like how they show the raccoon as chibi adorable when humans aren’t around and realistic looking other times.
- It is a great example of how movements can be fractured. For example do you use more violence for your cause or try more pragmatic approaches. It bodes well with today’s protest climate.
- It is an amazing vehicle to talk about environmental concerns of over development etc. This had me thinking more about human’s footprint on the environment than anything Greta could shame me about.
- I would love to see this shown to all elementary school students but it won’t happen because of the Tanuki balls. lol
- The Spring fever scene rivals Bambi’s characters in first love. In fact I think it is more saucy fun!
- The voice acting is spot on. The characters really matched the personality of their raccoon.
Tales from Earthsea I did not really enjoy the first time. I thought is was boring as dust. But this second time I really did like it a lot. There are some big things that could have been improved but overall it wasn’t the trash I once thought it was.
- I’ve never read the book but plan on reading them now. I get the feeling I’m missing out on a lot of Sparrowhawk and Therru lore.
- The first time I though Arren and Therru were just angsty. Now I see how they are products of things they couldn’t help.
- The look of the land and cities was beautifully done.
- Sparrowhawk still came off a bit bland with the voice acting. I wish he was a bit more exciting. (That’s why I need to read the books to see if the portrayal was on point or not.)
- The music and sound effects were lack luster. There was a few beautiful songs but I felt like to much of the movie was lacking that music to give momentum, joy or suspense. I would love to go back and incorporate more of the sound tracks in it.
- The character design for Lord Cob was crap. I just didn’t buy it. (Again I need to read the book to see what the author’s vision was.) He felt like a poor man’s Orochimaru from Naruto.
- The design of the dragon was beautiful 10/10.
Coming next time will be Howl’s Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart and Castle in the Sky.
From episode 12. Looks cute.
Episode 20. Eyes look way bigger and headband motif is subtlety different. It just looks like a different animator drew her. Perhaps they are rushing now to pump out episodes and the quality is going down in the animation. Thank goodness the story is so awesome I can overlook this.
Episode 5 of Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san threw in some Golden Kamuy into the mix by channeling the Unknown Comic.
Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san is really quirky and I quite enjoy it. Each episode is only 11 minutes long and may contain a few vignettes. Honda-san shows how stressful a bookseller job can be when foreign otakus swarm his shop for the latest BL manga.
I haven’t logged into World of Warcraft for over 2 weeks now. I’ll go back when the next update comes but not until then. I cannot stomach doing another world quest. I’ve played BG’s in game since 2006. I’m seriously bored of them. I know if I do rated it could be better but getting into rated is a drag. Making my own rated is a drag. I just don’t have the patience anymore.
I got my Waste of Time belt and Baa’l but other than that nothing is much fun in the game. I won’t give up yet but for now WoW is on the shelf.
Rather than rush and buy Red Dead Redemption 2 or Assassin’s Creed Odyssey I have decided to be frugal and just finish all my games in my collection. That list includes Kingdom Come Deliverance on PC, Divinity Original Sin 2, Ghost of a Tale also on PC. On PS4 – The DLC’s for Witcher 3 – Blood and Wine and Hearts of Stone, Assassin’s Creed Origins (has only being played for 2 hours). Breath of the Wild for Switch and finishing on my 3DS- Luigi’s Mansion and Ocarina of Time. Those two are really close to the end so I just need to pull up my boots and work through them.
I just have a problem with not finishing games and it needs to stop. Hopefully I don’t get weak and buy another.